The Cult of Lincoln

Saturday, March 13, 2010



Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I haven't blogged in such a long time that my brain has decided my return needs to be grandiose and epic and cerebral, coupled with a vow to continue blogging every such and such per unit time increment blah blah blah. As a result, I'm thwarting myself before I even begin. Blogging should be fun, not an added stress. Let's go from there.

So! Recap! For those who have been ignoring my blog in the absence of actual human communication, here's what's going on.


WORK

Let's start with the day job! I'm still at Launch in NYC. We have some new faces in Asset Land (we fused Character and Prop Lands), and I remain second in command. Over time, I've slowly become to go-to girl for celebrities, and I've gotten to create representations of Robert Pattinson, Heidi Klum, Reese Witherspoon, Tiger Woods (pre-scandal, natch), Roger Federer, Jaime Lee Curtis, J.K. Simmons, Bette Midler, and a bunch of Nascar racers whose names I can't remember, to name a few.

Just before the holidays, I was moved to a new seat, which is a source of frustration. My previous seat was in front of a window--a window ten feet from another building, but a window nonetheless. I could see the sky reflected in another window! I could kind of see the weather, if precipitation was heavy enough! It was great! My new seat is in the corner of a cramped, windowless pit. I have a whole laundry list of complaints, but it even makes me roll my eyes, so I'm not about to post it on the internet, for fear of being subjected to the world's tiniest string orchestra.

So instead, I'll focus your attention on the light amidst this darkness: coworker Erica brings her one-year-old Maltese to work, and every day around 5 I'll declare "Puppy O'Clock" and indulge in some quality snuggling and petting time. While I'd jump at the chance to move to the shiny new 15th floor, with its ergonomic chairs, spacious setup, high-res monitors, brand-spanking-new Wacom tablets, and soaring picture window view of midtown Manhattan, I'll make do with puppy love for now. Also, my coworkers are hilarious and have fantastic banter, and I hear it's a lot quieter on 15. I guess it all balances out.


FANDOM

As for Fandom-Land, last year, I created a map for the Codex Alera, which was published in First Lord's Fury, the sixth and final novel in the series. It will also be included in upcoming reprints of the first four books! I still haven't gotten over how awesome this is. Every time I visit a bookstore, I have to find Jim's books, and if they have a copy, I have to open it to the map and be struck all over again with the fact that MY ART IS IN A #7 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING NOVEL and squee like a maniac. Yes, I am lame, but I have awesome-cred to back it up.

I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and my fair share of criticism, but my favourite bit of praise came from the blog of a soon-to-be-published author, who was in the process of creating her own map for her fantasy novel. She was studying aspects of other fantasy maps to get her brain-juices flowing, and the three maps she gave particular attention were from the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and FIRST LORD'S FURY. One of these things is not like the other! I tell myself it's because FLF was published more recently and was therefore readier in folks' memory, but that's some pretty flattering company. It's one thing for folks to admire an illustration I created--it's a whole different kettle of fish for it to inspire someone else!

I also made an artistic contribution to the upcoming Dresden Files RPG, masterminded by my friend Fred Hicks. It's the Gruffs from Small Favor. I need to get back in the swing of doing art outside of work. Sure, the fifty-plus-hour work week makes me not want to go near Photoshop when I get home, but it's the only way I'll grow.

And another development since I last blogged: I actually wrote something! My disappointing entry to Yuletide 2008 must've rattled my confidence, because I didn't post anything for ten months following it. Sure, I dabbled, but I never brought anything to completion. 5/6 of the way through the year, I did! I organized a Codex Alera ficathon in an effort to generate some fanfiction before the series concluded, and I wrote an Araris-centric fic called "Fading Away." For Yuletide, I redeemed myself with "Looking Out," a Spook story that appears to be the first non-crossover fanfic in the Mistborn fandom. Oh, pioneers! Then Kait did a Writing Chat Thingy and I wrote "Letters," a highly amusing ficlet in which Tavi and Kitai confront the frustrations of grammar.


DECREASING WORLDSUCK

I started pitching in with my friend Lisa Spodak's fundraising for the Avon Walk back in July, and over the following months, Lisa finally cajoled me into taking a much more active role in the charity. I'm going to walk in the D.C. event May 1-2, which I'm now training for. I'm so proud of myself; not only am I going to be raising money for a very important cause, but I'm also on an actual exercise regimen, something I haven't been able to stick to in the past. It's great to have a goal.

Back in 2004, Lisa created Project Teddybear, in which she collects autographs and photos of celebrities with an Avon Walks bear, which she auctions off on eBay, with all funds going to the charity. I've contributed to her efforts by collecting the cast and creator of The Middleman, Billy Boyd of Lord of the Rings, Jorge Garcia of Lost, Robin Thorsen of The Guild, Rick Holmes, and Jim Piddock.

Of course, because of my connections to geeky literature fandom, I'm branching out with Project Teddybear: Geek Lit Edition. (I'm still looking for a good name.) In addition to the photo with a bear, I bring a book for the author to sign--usually the first in a series or their most recent release. I've nabbed Jim and Shannon Butcher (The Dresden Files, The Codex Alera, a host of increasingly enjoyable, genre-crossing romance novels), Jane Espenson (Buffy, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and more), Pat Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind), Jasper Fforde (the Thursday Next series, Shades of Grey), Lev Grossman (The Magicians, David Anthony Durham (Acacia), Brandon Sanderson (the Mistborn series, The Gathering Storm--also signed for PTB by collaborators Harriet McDougal and Maria Simmons), John Hodgman (Areas of My Expertise), Eoin Colfer (the Artemis Fowl series, And Another Thing), and probably a few others who have slipped my mind. At the most recent KGB Fantastic Fiction event, Ellen Kushner was eager to participate, but I didn't have any of her books on hand, so it'll have to wait until next month. I also hope to get Ellen Datlow, Terri Windling, and guest authors N.K. Jemisin and Michael Shea.


ETC

In addition to my increased attendance at book signings, I'm also going to a lot of music events. Leading up to the release of her new album, Katy Pfaffl aka "Mighty Kate" held an abundance of gigs, many of which I've uploaded to YouTube, with her permission. I also saw Vienna Teng, Lenka, Billy Boyd's band Beecake, Regina Spektor, Kristin Chenoweth, Jonathan Coulton with Paul and Storm, and... does a sing-along of Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog with Joss Whedon count? How about a performance of Lemony Snicket's The Composer is Dead? Though I saw that a looooong time ago, so maybe not. I also saw a taping of Inside the Actor's Studio with James Cameron, which is not even remotely close to a music event, but I didn't know where else to mention it.

Hmm, what else has happened? I got my first-ever cavities! And I had a torrid affair with an ocelot, because NO ONE, NOT EVEN MY PARENTS, could possibly be still reading at this point. It's more a historical document for myself. I also failed to blog about San Diego Comic Con, ConDFW (in which I moderated two panels, go me!), and my trip to D.C. for the Inauguration. I'll see if I can dig up the half-written entries and finish them at some point in the near future. Or not. Whatever.

Don't forget to floss!

Labels: , , , , , ,


Priscilla said at 4:21 PM

2 comments
Comments:
Hahaha, for a moment I thought, "Wait, Priscellie was mauled by an Ocelot or something?? What?"

I am pleased at the use of the phrase "decreasing worldsuck". DFTBA.
 
New bloggage! Yay! -hobbitwriter
 
Post a Comment



All content © 2000-2005 Priscilla Spencer unless otherwise noted.
Title cartoon by Bruce Eric Kaplan, used without permission.

divider
Me
my website
my liveJournal
blog rss feed
things that are brilliant
to read list
deviantart

Friends
lj friends
renata - sln roadtrip
alicey - kell - chungy
jimmy - kid ethnic
bugglefug - ru
atomic - drawn
neil gaiman
jane espenson

Reading
Widget_logo

Fangirling
The Dresden Files
White Collar
Middleman
Seanan McGuire

Upcoming
sd comic con (7/21-25)
siggraph (7/25-29)
the way of kings (8/31)
an artificial night (9/9)
ny comic con (10/8-10)
avon walk ny (10/16-17)
dresden: side jobs (10/26)
cryoburn (11/02)
mah birfday (11/23)
wise man's fear (3/1/11)
dresden: ghost story (4/1/11)


December 2000
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001
January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
December 2012
January 2013
May 2013
January 2014
January 2015